Saturday, May 26, 2012

Preparing the soil

The rain's pouring down outside, so it seems a fitting time to get this blog underway. What to talk about.  What do you want to know?  I'm a thirty-something homeowner with three cats, a nice husband, and fourteen hens that we share with the neighbours.  The garden, which this blog will largely revolve around, is four and a half years old.  It was all lawn when we moved in and now there is no lawn.  I'll be reinstating some in the Spring, but for now the main lawn is a large vegetable patch.  

My mother's family is full of gardeners - Pop (Mum's grandfather) who used to grow victory gardens so dense that Nan couldn't hang the washing on the line, Nanna and Poppa (Mum's parents), who converted two acres of farmland into a beautiful rhododendron and magnolia garden, and Mum who developed the third acre when she took on the house and worked the garden into something that would turn the Queen of England green.

It wasn't until we bought our house that I took to gardening, and like a maniac.  I thought about it all the time, read about it every night and spent all weekend, every weekend gardening. Now I'm going to try my hand at writing about it, and perhaps a little of what happens with the food that comes out of it.  

Here goes.  








2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I can't wait to hear more. Does the Rhodo and magnolia garden still exist somewhere? And what is a victory garden? And do you have room for YOUR washing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mum's still got the garden going, and she loves to show people through... My washing's only there because I've got bricks underneath the line - you just have to balance on a few board paths on the way. A victory garden was a war garden, people turned their lawns into vege patches - self sufficiency for the nation's sake.

    ReplyDelete